It’s almost June! We survived graduation of our third child last weekend and I’m still trying to figure out if it is an ending or a beginning. Transitions are such a challenge but I am pretty sure what is around the corner is AWESOME!!
After sharing tons of strawberry plants a few weeks ago I am happy to say that the remaining plants are rewarding us despite the neglect that we gave them last fall. My plants are loaded and we are happily going out to pick each day!
My granddaughter “helped” us over the weekend—isn’t she adorable! But we did pick enough on Sunday and Monday to freeze a couple of batches.
How to store berries(or any produce) for longer!
1. Pick berries when they are bright red, ripe but not mushy
2. Wash berries in a vinegar solution to kill any bacteria. (a sink full of water to 1 cup vinegar) By doing this you kill off any bacteria or molds on the fruit. If you put the produce in the refrigerator after doing this, your food will last weeks longer than if you had not washed it.
3. Drain water after 10 minute soak
4. Dry berries on a towel
Now you have a few options.
- Cut up berries and put on parchment paper on a cutting board or cookie sheet
- Freeze and then transfer to plastic freezer bags
Store in the refrigerator
On ice cream would be my vote
I will be freezing most of ours because we eat a TON of frozen berries through the winter. I'm not sure we have enough to last the whole year but that would be so wonderful if we do!
Life is Lovely
I want to invite you to a resource that can bring you up when things seem really down. Each week, some friends and I will be sharing what is lovely in our lives. Maybe a photo, something we've read, or a a funny video.
We'd love for you to participate. Share the good things in your life this week!
Welcome to the Life is Lovely Link Up!
We'll be here each Tuesday celebrating the lovely in our lives. Link up a post below that celebrates whatever is lovely in your life! Each week we will pick a feature that will be pinned to our Pinterest Board and featured in the following week's link up.
Last weeks Features
Party Rules and Information
- You can link up one post that shares what is lovely in your life.
- Visit and comment on at least 3 other blogs. This is a party!
- Follow each host in some way.
- Family-friendly links only.
- Link back to our link up via our button or a text link.
- Each week with will pick a featured post. By linking up you give us permission to feature our post on the following week's link up.
Grab Our Button!