There are WAY too many things to do now that the sun is shining! Last week some of my plants were in the ground with water all around but this week we are drying out.
Working in the garden early and late, helps me to avoid the HOT temperatures. The heat is great for the the garden but is making me want to melt when I come back inside to the AC.
So meals have gotten REALLY simple around here.
Refreshing Summer Salads
- Salads can be VERY healthy. Be careful what is in your dressings! Go simple--olive oil and salt!
- One of the first things my kids learned in the kitchen was to wash, spin and tear lettuce. It is a good skill to have and lettuce is NOT complicated to prepare at all.
- Many are easy to whip up early in the day so they are ready when you are hungry!
- Refreshing! Crisp, cold and chock full of healthy vegetables to nourish you when your body is thirsty for some goodness.
- Make sure you have plenty of romaine, green or red leaf available. Even a ready to serve spring mix or box of spinach is the perfect to a meal.
Some of Our Family favorites!
Chicken Salad--basic grilled chicken salad! Make a bunch on the grill & freeze it to have later.
BLT without the bread! This isn't really a salad but it is an alternative to sandwiches. Especially great for my gluten free Celiac daughter! Try it with avocado instead of mayo--different twist!
Black Bean Tomato Salad This is great when the cherry tomato plants are producing more than you can eat on regular salads.
Salad in a Jar--great for busy days & when you are on the road
Mexican Bean Salad--#1 favorite and super EASY! Chop iceberg lettuce, drain a can of pinto beans, shred cheddar cheese, dice a fresh tomato. Add some left over taco meat or diced chicken if you have it available. Pop open some salsa, tortilla chips & sour cream. I can have it ready in about 10 minutes.
Salads we are going to try this summer
Amish Broccoli Salad--We will pair this with grilled burgers or chicken legs
Chicken Burrito Bowls(which is almost like salad!)