I've gained 10 pounds since August. There I just laid it out there for you all to read. Kinda gives me a pain to say it. I'm struggling because I don't have a bunch of clothes that fit right now. There is a reason. Pain meds, healing, inactivity, healing, winter, healing.
See the theme?
TRIM HEALTHY MAMA!!
From April 2013 to July 2014, I lost about 20-25 pounds following the Trim Healthy Mama lifestyle. In the past I'd tried every diet under the sun, exercised as much as I could and limited my calories.
NOTHING worked. I felt like I was banging my head against a wall.
I lost & gained the same 5 pounds for years. I wanted to feel healthier which meant not hauling around the extra weight. The weight loss when I was on the THM plan was slow but I was ok with that as long as I saw some progress.
What we changed
- For me to loose I had to fuel my body with just one main fuel per meal. That meant pairing protein with carbs OR fat at each meal--not both. My family would pair it any way they wanted. They are all at healthy weights.
- Most carbs that we eat are low glycemic. Brown rice, sprouted wheat, sweet potatoes. Some cereal, bread, white potatoes for those who can handle the rise in blood sugar.
- LOTS of protein and good fats.
- Our intake of veggies has gone way up.
- My wonky up and down blood sugar issues were no longer giving me problems.
- With this lifestyle I’ve kicked the soda habit & the cravings are gone!! I was hooked on Pepsi for YEARS!
- Elizabeth's Celiac limitations work well with the THM plan.
- Steve & the other kids still get plenty of food and don't feel starved at all. In short this works for us.
Pancreatic Cancer & Delusions
The past 2-3 years have been incredibly stressful for for us as a family. My mom & dad's health problems created a situation where I was on edge and stressed ALL the time. I found if I could follow the THM plan then I could cope. However, if I indulged in sugar, wheat, or other off plan items I became unable to help my parents or my own family.
Plus I felt LOUSY!!!! After starting THM, my joints didn't hurt as much and I felt much less bloated. The THM lifestyle was part of what saved my sanity during that season. My friend, family & faith were the other factors that I leaned heavily on.
I slowly was building a smaller wardrobe & had gotten rid of my "fat" clothes. I was even able to start a consistent workout plan. Seemed like my new size was here to stay. Yeah!!!!
Then at the end of July 2014 I got a fungal infection my right eye. That's when I needed the pain meds. I've learned a lot of things from the infection & cornea transplant that I had in December.
Healing & Weight Loss
While I was hurt, I didn't change the way I ate. But while my body worked on healing the "broken" part of me, it had to put loosing weight on pause. Getting healthy meant something totally different.
What really changed was that my body REQUIRED rest.
I often think that my eye problems were God's way of saying "Ok you have worked REALLY hard for 2 years and now it is time to take a break and rest."
That is NOT how I thought that stage of my life would look like but God was right. I needed time to process it all and rest. That plus some serious inactivity from the fatigue I experienced is what helped me put back on 10 pounds.
So what now?
It is incredibly frustrating to be eating in a healthy way that had worked so well and still gain.
I'm still following the THM lifestyle. However, I've had to change a few things again.
This help my brain not to explode. I'm kidding--kind of.
How's it working?
Well the scale is moving again. Again REALLY slowly. I've done scheduled free cycling for 3 weeks and I'm holding steady at 2 pounds lost. Honestly, I'm a little tired of the being so strict so next week is a week off for me. We are traveling so that works out perfectly. I'll still be on plan. I'm planning to maintain the pounds that I have lost and come back ready to jump back in.
Let me know if you decide to give this a try!