Berries are the thing here. We recently transplanted over 100 raspberry plants and before that we moved a TON of strawberry plants from the raised bed strawberry patch. This week my daughter has been picking every evening. We’ve got a great start on getting our years worth of strawberries in the freezer. So in honor of Memorial Day and the sweet berries that we’ve been picking, I want to share this low fat sugar-free muffin recipe that we’ve been enjoying. There is even a gluten free version of these Red, White and Blueberry muffins!
Next Garden Adventures: Blueberries
My yearly goal with our berry patch is to grow enough organic berries that we don't need to buy any in the off-season. In 2016, we did it with strawberries and raspberries!!!! My next garden adventure is to find out if my soil will work for blueberry plants.
Low Fat Red White and Blueberry Sugar-free Muffins
- 1 c sprouted wheat flour or GF oat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 c xylitol
- 1/2 c almond milk
- 1 T melted butter
- 1/4 c egg whites
- 1/2 c diced strawberries or raspberries
- 1/2 c blueberries
- Preheat oven 375 F
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt, and xylitol.
- Add milk, melted butter and egg whites and stir.
- Gently add berries and stir.
- Line a muffin pan with paper liners or use a silicone muffin pan(I love these!)
- Use a 1/4 cup scoop to fill muffin cups
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until tops are lightly browned.
- Cool on a wire rack and enjoy!
This recipe makes 6 muffins and we regularly double the recipe!
***For my Trim Healthy Mama friends this recipe would qualify as an E muffin! I like to pair it with a smoothie to get a little more protein!***
Never heard of Trim Healthy Mama ? It is a wonderful way of healthy eating that manages your blood sugar and helps you to loose weight! Read all about it and how we made some diet changes after battling weight and some health challenges.
Other THM recipes you might like!