I'm so not a crafty mom.
Honestly, my husband was more likely to do crafts with the kids when they were younger than I was.
Craft time with kids made me crazy
- With littles there is no good way to contain the mess. As the mess grew, my stress level would skyrocket.
- Also I'm one of those people who like to follow directions so if we had a kit, crochet project or a painting set I wanted to do it step-by-step. That is SO unrealistic with kids.
But arts and crafts teach creativity right?
I knew we needed to include this in our lives.
It was interesting to see which of my children would view the instructions as a hard and fast set of rules(like me) and which children would use them as merely a springboard for doing their own creative and beautiful thing.
Things I learned from doing crafts with my kids
- I learned as we did creative things that I could relax and let them do the creative part, enjoy the process and then get them to "help" with the clean up. Certainly an imperfect solution but better than never pulling out the paint, glitter or clay ever again.
- I learned also that it isn't about me. I'm a perfectionist at heart and I like things to turn out like the instructions say they will. But it is so much better when my child creates and gets that sparkle in their eye over their "beautiful" creation that looks nothing like it should.
- I learned that even when I imperfectly teach my kids they learn HUGE lessons. Now that my kids are in their teens, they will still pull out yarn, glue, paper or some other medium and create a gift or creative project for their room.
6 quick craft projects for kids
So many kids craft projects abound on the internet and especially on Pinterest. It can be really hard to narrow down what crafts to do with kids. This week I was keeping my eye out for some easy quick crafts as I pinned and found these on the list below. They all look very low stress for mom or dad!
Also last July, I created a list of homemade Christmas gifts that you can make ahead of time to keep the holiday season simple and some of these are great kid crafts. Go check out the post or follow the DIY Homemade Christmas gifts pinterest board where all the projects are pinned!