Before it got too soggy, Steve had the beds built and we got the Square Food Garden dirt mixed. All that was left was to find a way to keep the dogs out & the weeds to a minimum. It all came together very nicely!
We spent a whole afternoon getting the dirt mixed and then putting up the fence. Joshua was a HUGE help to his dad! We used half a cattle panel as our gate. It is wired to one side and has a hook on the other side to keep it closed.
Unfortunately it blew over in the night since we didn't have it wired up yet. The dogs definitely need to be blocked out of our gardens. I was seriously unhappy with them the next morning but it could have been much worse!
We really don't want to mow around these beds so we are using hay to mulch the paths. The bales of hay on the garden are really coming in handy!
We are using the wheelbarrow to slowly move more hay to cover the paths. Needless to say this is itchy & hot work. We do a couple of loads a day when we need a break from other tasks.
This bale had been "peeled" enough that we were able to roll it from one side of the garden all the way to the other side of the house.
That's a long, long way.
That's the kids story anyway.
We did it and everyone survived.
Using the hay as mulch is a great way to use up kid energy, build memories & help them to grow stronger in body & character.
So half of our Square Foot Gardens are now filled. I am thrilled to have that part of the work done! Everyone else cannot wait to taste those strawberries in future years!!